Wednesday, June 20, 2012

corona del mar scenic 5K race report

The weather was GREAT, cool and cloudy with a breeze.  We ran the whole race at a comfortable pace.

Place 684
DivP 184 
SexP 184 
Name Kayla Kaiser
S F
31 
Location Glendale 
NetTime 40:38 
Pace 13:04 
GunTime 41:08 
Bib 309

This was my second race of the year.  The first race of the year was the Glendale Downtown Dash, which I ran alone after not getting a good night's sleep.  I ran faster (9:12 min / mile) in that race but I had to walk towards the end.  And there are no pictures of it, not to mention I am still confused as to the layout of the course, which snaked around downtown Glendale (as you could probably guess from the name of the race).

This race, the Scenic 5K, was totally different, we ran it as a family and went to bed early the night before.  My summer training plan (which started in January 2012) went a little something like this...


Run/Walk
Week
Miles
Starting
0.8
8-Jan
1
15-Jan
1.2
22-Jan
1.4
29-Jan
1.7
5-Feb
2
12-Feb
2.4
19-Feb
2.9
26-Feb
3.2
4-Mar
3.5
11-Mar
3.8
18-Mar
4.2
25-Mar
4.6
1-Apr
5.1
8-Apr
5.6
15-Apr
6.1
22-Apr
6.8
29-Apr
7.4
6-May
8.2
13-May
9
20-May
9.9
27-May
10.9
3-Jun
12
10-Jun
13.2
17-Jun
14.5
24-Jun
15.9
1-Jul
17.5
8-Jul
19.3
15-Jul
21.2
22-Jul
23.3
29-Jul


I would have posted it sooner, but I created it on our home computer, which promptly contracted a virus and caused us to reformat the whole thing.  The documents had been backed up within the last month but we still lost a few files.  Luckily I printed the training schedule out and posted it on our kitchen marker/magnet board next to a picture of my cousin (for inspiration).  Soon to join him was Mary Metcalf-Collier, another GRRRRRL that inspires me to train.

Anyway, the Downtown Dash fit in 11-March so you can see that I did not exceed the 10% rule.  I considered running the Verdugo Mountains 10K on the week of 6-May, the Pasadena 10K on the week of 20-May, and half-marathons by now (Simi Valley Arroyo Creek Half, 24-June) but I haven't been running with the schedule.  I sprained my calf at 19-Mar and took a break from most activities while that healed properly.  I guess you could say I started over at the beginning on May Day (May 1st)

During the race is when we planned my juice cleanse, I asked Nurse Sally (my MIL) what she did for years as a runner and mother of 3 to stay fit and healthy.  She recommended the tops of beets and eggplant.  Her drink was called "Swamp Juice" and was not the most tasty concoction.  She also recalled that during the course of training for marathons, she was running 50-60 miles per week.  If one long run is executed on the weekend, of an ~18 mile distance, that leaves 32 miles to run on the other 6 days (nearly a 10K every day). I'm not sure I see myself EVER doing that, but who knows?  You can see that my training schedule only has a max distance per run but not a # of miles per week to attain that distance in a single day.

So... with all that said, I can say I'm happy with the cdm5k result.  I was not in any pain and quite enjoyed myself.  What's next, you might ask, well that will have to be the topic of another post... suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment