Sunday, August 19, 2012

Parsley Antiseptic

Would you experiment on yourself?  This week I have started a new trial of hair treatment made from extracting (with boiling water) fresh parsley.  I simply poured boiling water from a kettle over this heap of parsley leaves.  After 30 minutes, when the liquid was at room temperature, I poured it into a measuring cup, and from the measuring cup, into these squeeze bottles.

If you have ever had itchy scalp, like I have, you will try anything!  I used to be called "snowflake" in middle school, either because I was a white girl in a predominantly African-American school or because my scalp was always flaking down out of my hair and on to my shoulders.  I tried using Denorex but my mom would get upset at me for using her product.  I've tried Head and Shoulders but I don't like the way it frizzes out my naturally wavy hair.

The only products I have ever noticed making a difference were (a) Paul Mitchell Tea Tree and (b) Burt's Bees Feelin Flaky Herbal Treatment Shampoo. I am trying this rinse since growing lots of parsley and reading in Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (2003) and Jude's Herbal Home Remedies: Natural Health, Beauty & Home-Care Secrets (2002) about the bioactive properties of parsley extract.

Other than these, my hair regimen involves Orange Petalooza™ Natural Nourishing Shampoo (from the
güd line of Burt's Bees and Avalon Organics LAVENDER Nourishing Conditioner (both of which I found at Target).  Right now I am trying to reapply discipline of looking, smelling, and feeling great.  This includes botanical treatments, serums, creams, balms, screens, infusions, but no peels or cleanses~!

I'm keeping the extra bottles in the fridge and applying the rinse between the shampoo and conditioner, leaving it on for about a minute and washing it out.  It brings a cooling, tingly sensation, very pleasant on these hot summer mornings.  Right now it feels like my head is burning, but that's usually how I feel before I take a shower.  It's easy to apply if you have experience coloring your hair at home, I apply it using the squeeze bottle just like I used to do in Arizona as a redhead and I was a blonde for a short time in California.  Will keep you updated as this experiment progresses...

The questions are: What molecule(s) do these dandruff treatments have in common?  What are the unique constituents in each?  What molecule(s) are in a parsley leaf extract?  What are the causes of dandruff?  What is the mode of action of the active ingredients in these treatments?  

For more, see our section about Chemicals in Consumer Products at KaiserWellnessCenter.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment